Friday, May 15, 2009

Phil & Laura [first engagement shoot EVER!]


My friend, Tiff, asked me if I could take pictures of her brother proposing to his girlfriend a few weeks ago. It ended up raining on that particular day, so the proposal had to be moved inside and the location lacked ideal lighting and a discreet place for me to hide. So, I did their engagement pictures instead (since she did say YES). I have only ever dreamed of having the honor of doing someone's engagement pictures, and couldn't wait for the opportunity to present itself...and it finally did. Plans were up in the air for most of the day due to rainy weather (with high winds) but we decided to take the risk and go with it. They were fabulous models, and I couldn't have asked for a better couple to shoot as a first.

Here's their story:
Phil & Laura met during "Welcome Week" at Messiah College their freshman year through a mutual friend, and have been friends ever since. Friends, yes...boyfriend/ girlfriend, no. Phil had a girlfriend when he met Laura, so she immediately wrote him off. (Life Lesson: Don't rule someone out just because they have a significant other...enough said.) The following January they started dating (for fellow Messiah students, he asked her out in Kline...) They dated for three years, fell madly in love (the proof is in the pictures), and got engaged on May 3rd. No official wedding date, yet.

p.s. WARNING: this post might make you want to fall in love.




that ring is amazing.


Despite the rain, they managed to stay dry thanks to an adorable umbrella courtesy of Rebecca Horning.

On the fourth floor of this brick building is where Phil popped the question. Some call it "Boyer".






































If you attend Messiah College there is no way you can resist that covered bridge.















I said "Pop your leg!". Apparently Phil thought I was talking to him.

I caught this moment without them knowing.



The sun started to peep through for just a second for some great lighting.


This is the lighting I dream of.

Tiff discovered this field of wild flowers a week ago. We had a really great idea that we weren't sure if we were going to be able to pull off, but we knew if we would it would be amazing. Continue reading to see what happened...




And then finally just what we had waited for...

Yup. A kiss in the rain. Not everyone is up for getting completely drenched during a photo shoot.

Phil & Laura, you guys were great! Thanks so much for being so great to work with.
Oh, and thanks Tiff for all the great ideas... it wouldn't have turned out so great without you. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hannah... these pictures are awesome... I wish i had a talent like that. I am trying but my pictures just never come out as beautiful as yours.... keep up the amazing work!

-Sarah

paper shoes said...

great work hannah!

Michelle Kemper Brownlow said...

OK....I think I have found WHO will be doing a portrait of my kiddos this summer!

I have been wanting to have their portrait done together since Izaiah's adoption was final and I think I have found the photographer!!

Your work is stunning... absolutely STUNNING!

I'm glad you put this link on your FB page - that's how I found you!

Janet Oberholtzer said...

Beautiful work Hannah - this might be your first engagement shoot, but I doubt it will be your last. Congrats on a job well done!