Friday, April 02, 2010

Good Friday


JUMP FOR JOY! cause winter's over.


(WARNING: I might ramble in this post.)

A new season.
A new post.

As always, I've failed miserably in the blogging world. I could blog everyday if I wanted to. I have enough to say, just not enough pictures to go with it.

Spring. There is something about it. The freshness of the air. The brightness of the flowers. The happiness of the people.

Whatever it is, I'm not complaining. You know it's been a long winter when the first day it's over 50 degrees and:
1) everyone on campus is going outside for a run and usually with somebody else
2) the gym is deserted
3) when going on said run the smell of a bbq and cigars fill the air
4) everyone is wearing shorts and/ or a tank top, or no shirt at all rather.

It's Good Friday today. I went to a Good Friday service from 2-3 pm, around the same time of the day Jesus was crucified. It was convicting, as it should have been. During the beginning of the service, I was thinking about how much in my life I need to change/ fix/ work on, all of my imperfections, basically all of my "humanness", when it suddenly hit me (I know, it takes me longer sometimes)...this is WHY it happened. This...this sinfulness of mine is WHY I'm here today, at this Good Friday Service reflecting. It's why Good Friday exists. It's why He died. For a long time I used to think of the crucifixion as a blanket forgiveness for the human race, but never specific to me. Of course my sins are forgiven, but it's not like Jesus did it just for me.

I hate to admit it, but I am wrong. I like being right. I fight to be right. But this time, I realized how wrong I am. This was even more convicting for me. Still convicting. Still thinking about it.

So much to think about. Easter does this every year, and I'm so thankful. I need it.

“Sovereign Lord, now let your servant die in peace,
as you have promised.
I have seen your salvation,
which you have prepared for all people.
He is a light to reveal God to the nations,
and he is the glory of your people Israel!”
Luke 2:29-32

The same passage I posted last year.

Peace...may you find it this Easter season.

H.


4 comments:

rebecca_horning said...

i love the pictures... reminds me of a wonderful day. even if it was bitter cold :]. good thoughts, too friendship :].

h. kurtz photography... said...

makin' mems...that's all that matters even if we were so cold we had to sit in your car for half the time.

oh, and thanks :)

Unknown said...

I love to read your posts. They transport me for a bit to a peaceful, thought-provoking minute. I am a bit sad that my kids are not around you to be photographed. You do a great job of letting the "spirit" through...in more ways than one!

h. kurtz photography... said...

Thanks Carol! If you want, I'll fly down there to get some pictures of them. :) Or you can come visit here too...easier said than done.